Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Shir HaShirim: The Passing of Rav Kook

I recall that when the Light of Israel, Rav Kook, zt"l passed away, my father, the holy Nazir, zt""l brought me to take leave of him. When the time came for him to pass away Rav Kook indicated with his finger that my father should leave as he was a Kohen. The great people of Jerusalem, led by Rav Yichiel Michel Tikochinski, Rosh Yeshiva of "Etz Chaim" stood around the rabbi's bed, while I, who was just a young child, left with my father and stood in the courtyard. After they recited Shema loudly with Rav Kook they began to recite Shir HaShirim as was the custom of the great Kabbalists to say Shir HaShirim at the passing of the leaders of Israel. Also at the funeral of my father the members of the Chevra Kadisha recited Shir HaShirim as they walked alongside his bed.
At first glance it seems difficult to comprehend why specifically as someone is dying it is appropriate to say Shir HaShirim. But after contemplating the matter we understand that the moment that the pure soul of the Tzaddik returns to its source is the most appropriate time to recite Shir HaShirim.
26

No comments:

Post a Comment